Sunday 26 October 2014

Tick tock 2

Tick tock 2 (Priscilla’s story)

It was getting late. The alcohol was long gone and I was too tired to go out and buy another bottle. I was more than just physically tired, I was emotionally and mentally drained. My marriage had taken its toll on me.

I had lost interest in everything and my mood was persistently low. The doctor said I was clinically depressed and had prescribed some medications. But how do you treat the symptoms when the root cause was eating into me daily like a cancer.

I was tired of trying; tired of trying to fix something that could not be fixed. It had gone from bad to worse and when the sex, the last thing that held us together, stopped, I employed the services of a divorce lawyer. I did not intend to be caught off guard.

I had been having recurring dreams of George asking me for a divorce. I always woke up just before signing the papers. Biola told me that that was a sign that my marriage would not end in divorce. I knew better than to take advice from my superstitious probably slightly mad friend. My lawyer was ready; I was only waiting for George to make the first move.

The shrill sound of the doorbell interrupted my thoughts.

I bristled from the unexpected sound and for a brief moment the crazy thought that my nightmare would come true today - that the visitor was sent by George to serve me with divorce papers - crossed my mind.

No. Not today. George would not be that heartless.

The visitor was from George alright.

I smiled when I opened the parcel.

It was a green dress. Emerald green. The exact shade I love. The exact shade my bridesmaids had worn 10 years earlier.

I was speechless but I dared not dream.

This must be a coincidence

He had probably told Ellen to order a dress online for me. Heck, his receptionist had probably even been the one to remind him of the anniversary.

There was a note attached.

"Happy anniversary. Please wear this for dinner tonight. It's an important night. Sorry for the trouble."

That brought me quickly back to my senses. I had been fantasising about his motives and it was all because of an important night. Oh I knew what an important night was: a boring night of forced laughter, acting and pretentious dining with his bosses and their spouses or dates. Somehow, George and I were able to present the image of a happily married crazily in love couple at these dinners. I deserved an Oscar. Why, only a week before, the skinny twenty-four year old fifth wife of the company's CEO had asked me for marriage tips. I was going to suggest that she should never grow old since Mark had never been married to anyone above 26 but I wisely kept quiet. If there was going to be a divorce, I wanted to be able to keep the house. If that meant that I had to be nice to all the trophy wives and suffer through countless dinners, I was going to do it. 

Tick tock

The dress was very pretty and fit like a glove. It brought back many happy memories of the wedding. I decided to wear a bracelet of the same exact colour that was bought during the honeymoon. I had been taking an evening stroll with George when we passed by the jewellery store. I was drawn to the trinket but had to look away because we were already over budget. Two days later, I had woken up to find the bracelet on the pillow.

I wondered if he would remember.

Tick tock

We met at the Conch. He was waiting for me at a table set for two people. I was bewildered.

“Where are the others?” I asked.

“What others?” He replied.

“You said it was an important night, I thought Mark and the rest...”

He did not let me finish.

“You thought I would take you to dinner with my work colleagues on our anniversary night?” He asked.

There was an edge to his voice. I could not make out what it was: anger? frustration? sadness?

I took a closer look at him. My husband looked like he had not slept in days; he had not shaved, his eyes were red and his shirt looked rumpled.

For a moment, I felt a pang of guilt. We had slept in the same house the night before. There was obviously something wrong. How could I have missed that? Had I been so absorbed in my own misery that I could not see that my husband was going through some challenges also? I wondered if he was ill. Was he dying? Was that the reason for the dress and dinner?

I don’t know exactly what changed when I really looked at George that night, but I know that was the moment I realised that I did not want to lose him.

Not today. Not ever.

I was going to fight for him. I was going to fight for our marriage.


“We are not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again” P!nk ~ Just give me a reason

4 comments:

  1. I am quite facinated with this story, looking forward to see how the reunion goes. Well done blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Story of every marriage...almost every. Are all your stories fiction or true stories...? Nice....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly fiction. However, I do draw on real life experiences in some of the stories for example the flight upgrade in "the past". This one was 100 percent fiction. thanks for commenting :)

      Delete