Saturday 12 April 2014

Achsah (Part 2)

Achsah (Part 2)


It had been three days. Three days since the worst day of my life. I could still remember the laughter and mama helping me up from the floor. I was so embarrassed that I had not left the house in three days. I could not bear to run into him. "He probably thinks I'm a clumsy little girl," I thought. Mama told me that I was overreacting, and Cousin Diana, well she had lost her patience.


"Achsah! Achsah! Achsah!"

As if on cue, my cousin appeared. It was not yet dawn, but I knew she would keep shouting until I answer her.

"I'm here Diana; in my little old room. You don't have to shout" I replied wearingly
"Well, get up and get dressed! We are going together whether you like it or not. And we have to leave early to beat the crowd." She retorted.

I knew there was getting out of this one. So I quickly got dressed. We were going to the well. I do not like going to the well. I prefer the springs. The breathtaking beauty, idyllic scenery, clear water, small forest animals; the springs always inspire me. I often imagine that my husband and I would have our own spring. We would spend most of our evenings there. He would recite poetry to me, and we would sing beautiful love songs together.

We quickly grabbed our jars and started on the journey to the wells. Cousin Diana looked disapprovingly at my dress
"Achsah, is that what you are wearing to the well?" She asked. "At this rate, you won't find a husband"
"If he is only interested in the way I dress, then he is not worthy to be called husband" I replied

Since the days of Isaac and Rebekah, the wells have become known as dating hotspots. The young men hang around offering to roll the stone covering the wells for the maidens. I think they roll the stone back on purpose to make it impossible for the women to do without them. Of course, the lucky men have to make formal proposals to the maidens’ families after. I wondered when papa was going to choose from the bevy of suitors for me. Every family with a son of marriageable age had paid a visit to papa but he still had not made his decision. I wondered what was stopping him.

"My little princess"
Diana and I both jumped at the voice. That unmistakable voice was Joab's. Joab was one of the tallest men in the 12 tribes and the reigning wrestling champion. Everybody knew that he loved to fight and would never turn down an opportunity to go to war. However, unlike papa and my brothers, Joab enjoyed the kill. Rumour had it that he hung the decapitated heads of his victims in his living room.

"Good morning Joab, you scared me. And I am not a princess" I said
He threw his head back and laughed "Oh, but you are my little princess. And very soon, you will be my queen. Joshua is already getting old and I think the 12 tribes should have their own king"
"but we have never had a king... " I started
"There's always a first time princess and I will make a great king" he grinned

I shivered a little and wished that my brothers were around.  I knew he would not dare harm me; nobody would touch Caleb's daughter. But  I had always been scared of Joab. I said a silent prayer to God that papa would not choose him as my husband.

We got to the well, filled our jars and started our journey back home without further incident. The next day was the Sabbath, and everybody was busy preparing for the day of rest. I was excited because papa and my brothers were due back from the battlefield that evening. I could not wait to hear about the war. Mama thinks it is not ladylike, but I know papa enjoys telling me the war stories.

As we neared the house, I saw smoke rising from the kitchen and could smell the unmistakable aroma of roasting calf. There was singing and dancing, and we could hear the drums of victory.
"Papa is back" I shouted with joy
Cousin Diana and I quickened our steps and made it home in record time. It was not until we got home that we heard the other drums. The drums of war. I was surprised and confused because papa always rested when he got back from war. I looked around and caught my brothers Elah and Iru beside the water troughs grinning from ear to ear.
"Elah, what's happening? Is papa back" I asked
"Yes” he replied
"So why are we beating the drums of war? Is he going to war again when he just got back? Why don't you talk to him? Surely you know he is getting too old for all this"
"Calm down Achsah, papa is not going for war"
"Then who is?" As soon as I asked the question, I knew the answer and my heart sank.
"The young men, Achsah. Your suitors. Immediately after the Sabbath, they will set out. Papa says he will give your hand in marriage to whoever conquers Kiriath-Sepher"

Elah had just confirmed my worst fears. I thought of Joab and burst into tears.

1 comment:

  1. Earnestly waiting to get to the end of this great piece. Nice work...

    ReplyDelete