Sunday 20 April 2014

ACHSAH (Part 3- final)

ACHSAH (Part 3- Concluding part)

Kiriath-Sepher! That dreaded city with the surrounding mountains, fortified walls and Anakim! Anakim were giants that were greatly feared by the twelve tribes and Canaanites.  O Papa, why are you doing this to me? I know I should trust you papa. I know you only want the best for me. I know you love me papa... It’s just very difficult to trust you now.

Shortly after Moses died, the twelve tribes led by Uncle Joshua crossed the Jordan into the Promised Land. A lot of battles had been fought since the first battle at Jericho and from the look of things, there would be many more wars to come. Papa had asked Uncle Joshua for the occupied hill country of Hebron for his inheritance. Hebron was also known as Kiriath-arba after Arba, the greatest man among the Anakim.

“So now give me this hill country of which the LORD spoke on that day, for you heard on that day how the Anakim were there, with great fortified cities. It may be that the LORD will be with me, and I shall drive them out just as the LORD said.” Papa had said to Uncle Joshua.

The Lord had been with papa. He defeated and drove out major tribes- Sheshai, Ahiman and Talmai. Now, it was up to my future husband to fight against Kiriath-Sepher.
Why didn’t he just collect a dowry like every other father? Why wasn’t I betrothed as a baby like cousin Diana had been?  I thought about all the young men I grew up with:  John the carpenter’s son; Eleazer, grandson of Bezalel the master craftsman of the ark of covenant; Asher the potter’s son. I prayed they would not fight for me. I thought of him. I had not stopped thinking about him since that fateful day.  How could I forget him? I wondered if he would fight...
..........................................................................................................
Othniel was getting impatient. His father had pleaded with him to go to Caleb’s for months but he had flat out refused. Ordinarily, he would have been eager to go; Caleb was his favourite uncle, mentor. He was also a fearless and great army commander. Othniel had fought beside Caleb and knew he would drop everything for another opportunity to go to war with the old man. But these were not ordinary circumstances, and the visit had nothing to do with war. His father wanted him to ask for Caleb’s daughters hand in marriage and frankly, he was not interested. Well, he had not been interested. Now he was very interested. How could he have known that the little girl had grown? How could he have known that she had grown into a beautiful young woman?

How beautiful you are, my beloved, how beautiful you are!
Your eyes are like doves
Your hair is like a flock of goats
Your teeth are like a flock of newly shorn ewes- each has its twin, not one of them is alone
Your lips are like a scarlet thread
Your temples are like the halves of a pomegranate

He had wanted to go see her the following day but Caleb was at the war front. When he heard the first drums, he told the servants to get the camels ready: fill the baskets with as much fruit and food as they could carry; pick the best animals from among the cattle, sheep and oxen; and fill the trunks with beautiful fabric of different textures and colours he had bought from Ishmaelite traders. He also asked his mother for some trinkets. He was on his way back from his mother’s tent when he heard the second drums. The drums of war. He stopped in his tracks and frowned. But he was a soldier. He knew what he had to do.
..........................................................................................................

(After the Sabbath)

We were not allowed to leave the house. My brothers were annoyed that they had to watch the proceedings through the tiny window. I was not feeling sympathetic towards them. “They should have talked some sense into papa.” I felt. The turnout was much more than I expected. Families from all over the twelve tribes were represented, and there were flags and emblems of different shapes and colours. Joab and a very large entourage arrived a little after noon. ‘Oh no’ I sighed. It became obvious that many of the warriors shared my sentiments as they packed up and left when they saw him.
“Cowards!” Iru said under his breath.
I did not reply. I was searching, hoping, praying. Then I saw him, with just a handful of men, dressed in combat clothes. He was going to fight for me. Suddenly, I was afraid; afraid that I would lose him before I even had him.
..........................................................................................................
The Lord is my strength and my song; he has given me victory.
This is my God, and I will praise him—my father’s God, and I will exalt him!
You will bring them in and plant them on your own mountain—
the place, O Lord, reserved for your own dwelling,
the sanctuary, O Lord, that your hands have established.
The Lord will reign forever and ever!”

The war was over and the singers had arrived. Kiriath-Sepher had been defeated and the remaining warriors were on their way back. Many soldiers had returned in the past few weeks with injuries and thankfully, no casualty. Only a few warriors were still at the warfront and today, we would know the winner. Papa and my brothers had gone to meet them at the border but I had to stay at home.
“Achsah, sit still; I can’t braid your hair well if you keep turning and jumping at the slightest sound.”
“I’m sorry mama. I’m so worried. I wish I knew the winner already. The suspense is killing me!”
“Don’t worry Achsah, God’s will be done.” Mama said for the umpteenth time
“Oh Mama” I sighed wearingly
“Mama! Achsah! Papa is back!”

I jumped out of the chair and ran as fast as I could to the gates. There were so many people around that it took almost forever to get to the front of the crowd. Papa and the leaders of the tribe were standing just outside the gate. I immediately looked to Papa’s right side. The winner always stood on the right. That is when I saw him- bruised, battered and looking totally worn out. In his right hand was the staff of office of the King of Kirath-sepher- proof that he had won the war. Othniel. Othniel had defeated Kirath-Sepher.
..........................................................................................................

It is my wedding day today. The past few days have been a blur. I asked papa and he gave us a piece of land and not one but two springs- the upper and the lower springs.  Dignitaries from all over the twelve tribes are around and the celebrations have been going on for three days now. It is time for papa to give a toast. I look at my new husband and I am just glad he won.

THE END


EPILOGUE
Othniel became the first judge of Israel after Joshua died. Led by the spirit of God, he fought against and delivered the Israelites from Mesopotamia. 
References: The Holy Bible. Some passages are shown below-

Joshua 15: 13- 19; 1 Chronicles 4:15; Numbers 13; Song of Solomon 4: 1-3; Exodus 15; Judges 3: 8- 10

Photo source: http://www.jewishmag.com/131mag/wedding_chuppah/wedding_chuppah.htm

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I just imagine the bundle of talent you've got in you. It needs exploitation. More wisdom to you, and more energy for more writings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!1 you have such a way with words!!! They flow so easily.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooo much and thanks for reading the posts! I really appreciate it.

      Delete