Saturday 26 March 2016

God's masterpiece



What do you see when you look at me?
I mean really look at me?
What’s the first word that comes to your mind?
Do you see the good or the bad?
My curves or my edges
My hair
My smile or the colour of my skin
My scars, marks or tattoos
My past
I’m not here to take pride in my past
Or the names I have been called
This is not the MTV VMAs
Amber and Blac Chyna already did that
This is my testimony

It was a cold November night
A few years ago
I needed a fix
Braving the weather I walked out of my apartment
On the lonely roads of the city
Looking for the one thing I felt would make me better
It was a long walk
But I eventually found it
The little shop, tucked in a corner
This was my life
From one fix to the next
One high to the other
Upping the doses
Switching the sources
Shame, filth, guilt
Addiction, hopelessness, despair
Lost… and I didn’t even know it

I remember the first time I heard the story
Of the one who came to set the captives free
Who died that I might live
And whose blood could cleanse me
And who could save from that which was too strong for me
At first I didn’t understand
How could I?
But he tugged at my heartstrings
The one who claimed to love me in spite of it all
So I prayed.

Today, I am man
Or should I say ‘woman’
Created in the image of God
A reflection of the most High
Forged with sword made of better than Valyrian steel
The sword of the Spirit- The word of God
Words pure as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times
Quick
Powerful
Sharper than any two-edged sword
Like fire
And like a hammer which shatters a rock
I’ve had some work done; I’m not ashamed of this…
All the works, and some nips and tucks here and there
No, not by Dr McDreamy
But by the Great physician
I am the clay, He is the potter
I am a branch of the true vine, He the vinedresser
He is like an eagle hovering over its nest, overshadowing its young,
Then spreading its wings, lifting them into the air, teaching them to fly
God alone leads me
He has made me into a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver
I am a jewel of the King
I am God’s masterpiece
And this label, I will proudly wear.


Image source: http://www.lovethispic.com/image/168453/gods-masterpiece

No comments:

Post a Comment