Wednesday 23 March 2016

Jogging Wars- tales from last Saturday

I jog very slowly. Seriously. And I mean almost walking-level-slow-jog. I try to up and vary my speed by intermittently switching between a run, fast jog, and slow jog. However, most of the time, I slow jog.

Now I know pace is important when exercising as you burn more calories when you fast jog than when you slow jog or walk for the same amount of time. So it hurts a bit that I don’t fast jog as much as I would like to.

But I am also aware that distance, angle of inclination (eg running up hills and steps), and time also matter. So I play around with the things that I can readily change; I increase the distance, slope and jogging time and I am mostly fine. In fact most times I am not too worried about my pace and go home feeling pretty smug with myself.

Until last Saturday

First of all, let me say it was my fault. If I had woken up earlier, if I had gotten out of bed earlier, I wouldn’t have had to share the jogging strip with anybody. I would have just gone from my point A to B and back alone, comfortable with my pace, and been satisfied with my exercise.

But I woke up late, and the whole world decided to jog/walk from point A to B last Saturday.

There was this woman who was just a few blocks ahead of me, initially. She looked a lot heavier than me and she was constantly getting distracted by her phone and stopping intermittently. So, I was almost certain that before long, I would reach her and overtake her.

For where?

Ten minutes later, she was still a few blocks ahead of me.

Then she stopped and started walking. And I thought, “thank God, now I will definitely overtake her”.

For where?

Another ten minutes later, she was still a few blocks ahead of me.

And then she resumed her jog, without even once glancing back to notice the competition.

At this point, I was getting slightly irritated. Which kain jog I dey jog where I no fit gap person were dey walk for goodness sake?

I considered increasing my pace but commonsense told me that it would be better to complete my course than wear myself out and stop halfway, trying to compete with someone that did not even know that I existed.

So I continued jogging.

She did not get to point B but turned back about 3/4ths of the way, and by the time I got to point B and turned back, she was way ahead of me. But at this time I had stopped stressing. I mean, even though we were running on the same road, we had different goals and I decided to face my own.

Then I was okay

For a little while

You see, while all this was going on, I noticed two youngish very fit looking men jogging a considerable distance behind me. So I subconsciously made a new goal. These men must not overtake me oh!

Guess what happened?

Before long brethren, brothers and sisters, ladies and gentlemen, well wishers and fellow fit fam, the two men reached me, overtook, and literally disappeared from plain view.

Kai, it pained me!

I nearly stopped jogging self.

That’s when it hit me. I woke up that morning, got out to jog, jogged from point A to B and was almost at the finish line. But I was going to let myself be robbed of my joy and sense of satisfaction just because two military looking men who probably exercise for a living run faster than I do?

I know competition has its place especially when you are getting paid and your name is Usain Bolt. But come on, this was not the place or time.

I smiled, limped over the finish line and celebrated my victories. You see, I had finished my course but also learnt a few valuable life lessons.

Next Saturday I will face my front, run my race, and finish my course.

This particular road will not get longer, but I will get stronger, faster, and conquer new heights.

“Success is not a comparison of what we have done with what others have done. It is simply coming up to the level of our best, making the most of our abilities and possibilities.” Jerry Horner
                                                                             


No comments:

Post a Comment