Sunday 1 January 2017

Unplanned journeys


This morning I was stranded at a bus station, on my way to somewhere familiar. This evening I am sitting by the fireplace, wrapped up in a cosy Christmas blanket watching the king's speech with two lovely ladies I just met, in somewhere new.

Great stories usually begin with seeming mistakes, and unplanned journeys, right? I had it all planned out last night, or so I thought. I took a quick shower at work this morning, left early, hitched a ride to the bus station, and used Google maps instead of an actual bus website to plan my journey on New Year's Day. Rookie mistake.

I had three options: go back home, take a very expensive taxi ride to my intended destination, or go somewhere else. Long story short, I took option three after praying, and ended up in front of a sleepy but very accommodating bed and breakfast owner at 10am on a freezing New Year morning.

"You are lucky the guests left last night and I cleaned out the room immediately", she said while heaping my plate with hot food.

I don't think luck had anything to do with it. I believe that God knew I was going to stay here tonight and He prepared a way and a place for me.

I am very optimistic about this New Year. I do not have much figured out but I believe that God will somehow, someway, direct my path and help me this year.


I hope for and desire a lot of things, and there is the niggling thought that I may fail, that my resolutions may not make it past the first week, that the new will lose its novelty and I may wrap myself up in the comfortable but inadequate old.

I acknowledge this.

I also acknowledge the fact that if I try to do the things and make the changes I need to make on my own I would struggle, strive and fail.

So I'm believing and I'm trusting that the Word that gave light and life to the formless, void, and dark earth is at work and will continue to give light and life to this new year, to me, and to you.

Image source: https://valentinesdaywishes.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Best-Happy-New-Year-Pictures.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment